Island life isn’t just for vacations. Coastal Living scouted some of the most beautiful isles that happen to be picturesque and perfect for retirement—places where cost of living, appealing amenities, and a relaxed lifestyle create the ideal environment for spending your golden years. In this article, they provide their selection of the 10 best islands for retirement.
Please note that this article is not military-specific regarding military retirement benefits. We have, however, included any military installations that may be nearby!
Click the link below to find out where these fabulous isles are located and maybe think about at least visiting!
Source: 10 Best Islands for Retirement
1o Great Island for Retirement – and the nearest military base:
- Kauai, HI: Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility is located on this island.
- Martha’s Vineyard, MA: Otis Air ANG/Cape Cod Coast Guard Station is a ferry ride away on the mainland.
- Catalina Island, CA: Fort MacArthur and Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station are a 30-minute ferry ride to Los Angeles.
- Key West,FL: Key West Naval Air Station is located on this island.
- Mackinac Island, MI: Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center is approximately 100 miles southeast.
- Ambergris Caye, Belize: No military installations are located nearby.
- Sea Island, GA: Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base is approximately 50 miles south.
- Gasparilla Island, FL: MacDill Air Force Base is approximately 100 miles north.
- Isla Mujeres, Mexico: No military installations are located nearby.
- San Juan Islands, WA: Whidbey Island Naval Air Station is approximately 74 miles south using the ferry route.