My wife Liz and I like to go on biking vacations. We load up our little pick up truck and find a hotel near the bike trail. It’s a weekend of biking, eating out and reading a good book. We have been biking in Kent Narrows for 30 years. We like to veer off of the trail and take an adjoining trail to the Chesapeake Heritage Center, where you can pick up local visitor information, then ride or walk to Ferry Point Park, which is a nice sandy beach to cool off after a ride as well as a good picnic spot.
If you live in the Metro Washington DC area, it is the closest beach area for a quick weekend getaway with a drive time of just over an hour each way. The trail is a flat 12.5 miles going through parks and along waterways. Some parts are a little loud, being next to the main road. There is a slight hill to follow the trail over Kent Narrows Drawbridge. We enjoy watching the boats and fishermen there.
For a good map and visitors guide, download or order the Queen Anne’s Visitor Guide at visitqueenannes.com/visitors-guide.
At Terrapin Nature Park, you will find a great sandy swimming beach on the Chesapeake Bay.
Holiday Inn Express
- Address: 1020 Kent Narrows Rd, Grasonville, MD 21638
- Phone: 410- 827-4454
- Right on the bike trail. If you stay here, ask to have a room on the backside of the hotel, which has a wonderful view of the water.
Across the road, you will find the Hilton Garden Inn, a short walk from several restaurants.
- Address: 3206 Main St, Grasonville, MD 21638
- Phone: 410- 827-3877
Navy Getaways Annapolis
- Phone: 1-877-NAVY-BED, 410-293-3906
- Email: NGIS.NSAA.email@example.com
- Reservation Website: http://get.dodlodging.net/propertys/annapolis
- Lodging Information Website: http://www.navymwrannapolis.com/programs/a58036d6-2bc8-4c32-a62e-cd5a86b60269
- Types of Rooms and Rates: Standard Suite (16): One bedroom with queen bed, private bath, living room area, pull out sofa (select rooms), full kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker; flat screen TVs. Rates: $130-$155 nightly.
- Address: 2 Truxtun Road, Annapolis, MD 21402.
Navy Lodge Annapolis
- Phone: 1-800-NAVY-INN, 410-757-7900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reservation Website: https://www.navy-lodge.com/annapolis
- Information: Reservations accepted anytime via telephone or online. Credit card required for guaranteed reservation. Cancellations must be made by 1800 hours day of arrival to avoid fees.
- Address: 347 Kinkaid Road, Annapolis, MD 21402
- Types of Rooms and Rates: Standard Room w/Kitchen (50): Two queen beds, private bath, kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker; flat screen TV. Rates: $90 nightly. Business Class w/Kitchen: Queen bed, private bath, pull out sofa, kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker; flat screen TV. Rates: $90 nightly. Family Suite (2): 1BR. Rates: $128 nightly.
Annapolis Military Campground
- Reservation/Contact Number Info: 410-293-3906, 1-877-NAVY-BED
- Recreation Security: 410-293-5760
- RV Website: http://get.dodlodging.net/propertys/Annapolis
- Other Info Website: http://www.navymwrannapolis.com/programs/ddaaad0e-8b94-4e6b-8aab-796b571b801b
- RV Email Address: email@example.com
- GPS Coordinates: 38°59’09.55”N/76°27’53.97”W
- Reservations: Reservations required. Accepted by phone or online www.dodlodging.net. Check-in at Blue Jacket Community Recreation Center, Bldg 46. Office hours 0530-2000 Mon-Fri, 0900-1700 Sat-Sun, 0900-1700 Federal holidays. Closed Thanksgiving. Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
- Season of Operation: Year-round, tent camping Apr-Oct.
- Eligibility: AD, NG, AD Res, Ret, DoD-Civ AD/Ret.
- Camper/Trailer Spaces: Hardstand (14): Concrete pad, back-in, limited sites can accommodate 38′-40’, depending on style, E(110V/30A)/W hookups. Rates: $22 daily.
- Tent Spaces: Primitive (12): No hookups. Rates: $3 daily per person.
- Support Facilities: Auto Skills Shop, Boat Rental, Equipment Rental, Fitness Center, Gas, Golf, Grills, Marina, Mini Mart, Picnic Area, Playground, Pools (seasonal), Racquetball Courts, Rec Center, Restrooms, Sewage Dump, Showers, Sports Fields.
Where to Eat
Harris Crab House
- 433 Kent Narrow Way N, Grasonville, MD 21638, (410) 827-9500, harriscrabhouse.com
- We have eaten here for over 30 years, usually our first choice of where to eat seafood when you come to Kent Island. Crab cakes and hush puppies are always good.
- 3116 Main St, Grasonville, MD 21638, (410) 827-8807, fishermansinn.com
- Everything is more expensive here and the water views are bad. I will say the service was good and the food was excellent.
The Jetty Restaurant and Dock Bar
- 201 Wells Cove Rd, Grasonville, MD 21638, (410) 827-4959, jettydockbar.com
- Best atmosphere on Kent Island for dining. You sit right on a large dock going out into the bay. Try to time your meal for sunset, you will not be disappointed. The food is pretty good, drink sizes for alcohol are a little small and expensive.
Overall Kent Island is a great place for a long weekend. If you like to bike by waterways and nature, it’s a perfect fit. If you have any questions about our trip, drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.