How to make a Space-A Reservation

Signing up for a Space-A flight

In order to fly Space-A, eligible passengers must register (sign up) at the military passenger terminal from which they want to depart. Uniformed service members must be on leave or pass status when they sign up. Registration can be very competitive at some busy terminals, so be sure to sign up as early as you can.

  • Passenger registration. You can sign up on the terminal’s register up to 60 days in advance. You may sign up for more than one destination and at more than one terminal. When you sign up, make sure you have your military ID and leave papers (if necessary). Some terminals accept fax or email sign up, but procedures vary by terminal. For contact information on military passenger terminals, visit AMC. (Editor’s Note: For detailed registration information  specific to each Space-A terminal on our website, see our website Space-A Home Page). When you get to your destination, be sure to register for a return flight.
  • Categories. Once registered, you are assigned a passenger category. These categories determine how seats are assigned. Within each category, passengers are prioritized based on the date and time they registered. Available seats are assigned first to Category I passengers, continuing through the categories until all empty seats are filled.
    • Category I. Active duty service members and their accompanying families traveling on emergency leave.
    • Category II. Service members and their accompanying family members traveling on EML. This includes command-sponsored family members who are stationed outside the continental United States.
    • Category III. Service members and their accompanying families traveling on ordinary leave or reenlistment leave status, and unaccompanied family members of service members deployed 365 consecutive days or more. This category also includes service members and their families on house-hunting leave.
    • Category IV. Unaccompanied family members on EML orders and eligible family members of service members deployed 120 days or more.
    • Category V. Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii and students enrolled in a trade school within the continental United States when the sponsor is stationed overseas.
    • Category VI. Retirees and their accompanying family members. This category also includes Guard and reserve members who are traveling within CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and U.S. territories.

    For more detailed descriptions, go to DoD Air Transportation Eligibility regulation.

  • Documentation. Make sure you understand what documentation you will need to travel, including:
    • Your military ID
    • A copy of your leave orders, if applicable (for emergency leave, EML or ordinary leave passengers)
    • Unaccompanied family members of service members who are deployed for 120 days or more need a letter verifying eligibility from the service member’s commanding officer
    • A passport and appropriate visas (if traveling overseas)
    • DD Form 1853: Verification of Reserve Status for Travel Eligibility (for eligible Guard and reserve members)
  • At the terminal. Plan to arrive at the terminal early. Space-A seats can be released two or three hours before a scheduled flight. Check with the passenger counter to be sure you are registered for the flight and your documents are in order.