The Armed Forces Service Center (AFSC) is an “all free” stop located at the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, for Active Duty military personnel, Reservists or National Guardsmen, and their dependents. The center also serves active duty DoD and PHS employees on travel orders, as well as other members of the uniformed services on active duty. In appreciation for all those who have served, military retirees and veterans are welcome to a cup of coffee, pastry and seating provided outside the AFSC.
The AFSC is unique to Minnesota. It is not affiliated with the USO or with the Metropolitan Airports Commission. This one-of-a-kind, non-profit facility relies on various veterans organizations and their auxiliaries, private businesses and individuals for funding. A dedicated volunteer staff operates the AFSC 24/7, 365 days a year.
The Center offers numerous amenities:
● A nice lounge area with comfortable furniture, a dining table and buffet.
● A large kitchen with two microwaves, and a commercial coffee machine.
● A 50″ flat panel television with over 200 satellite channels.
● DSN line, calling cards and cell phone.
● Free Wi-Fi, courtesy of Advanced Wireless Group, with 45 minutes of complimentary wireless access after you’ve either watched a commercial or filled out an online survey.
● Three iPads and a laptop, with CAC reader, connected to a printer.
● The printer is also a fax, copier, and scanner.
● Complimentary sandwiches, pastries, chips, cereals, soups, hot and cold beverages.
● Men’s bunk room with 20 sleeping bunks.
● Women’s bunk room with 6 sleeping bunks, a baby crib and nursing chair.
● A bathroom with a changing table and various complimentary toiletries.
● An assortment of children’s toys, games, playing cards.
● Complimentary paperback books, stationery, stamps, sewing kits.
● Iron and ironing board.
● Supervised storage of luggage, and bunk wake-up service.
Contributed by Military Living® Publications
Reprint from September–October 2015 • Volume 45, No. 5